10 Miss World Contestants Have Appeared In Bond Movies And Four Other Interesting Miss World Facts!
Rolene Strauss (Photo: Getty Images)
- Miss World, the oldest major international beauty pageant in existence, celebrates its 70th anniversary in 2021 when Jamaica’s Toni-Ann Singh crowns her successor.
- Miss South Africa 2020 Shudufhadzo Musida hopes to follow in the footsteps of three Miss South Africa – Rolene Strauss (Miss World 2014), Anneline Kriel (Miss World 1974) and Penelope Coelen (Miss World 1958) – when she competes for the title on December 16.
- “This is an incredible opportunity, and I can’t wait to represent this country and have the words ‘Miss South Africa’ on my chest. I want to make South Africa proud!” Shudufhadzo said previously.
The countdown to Miss World has started and South African Shudufhadzo Musida has been named “hot choice“to bring the crown home for the fourth time.
The 25-year-old, who was crowned Miss South Africa 2020, will represent the country at the 70th Miss World Pageant to be held on December 16 in Puerto Rico.
Hoping to follow in the footsteps of South African Rolene Strauss, who won the title in 2014, Shudufhadzo previously said: Who came before me.
“This is an incredible opportunity, and I can’t wait to represent this country and have the words ‘Miss South Africa’ on my chest. I want to make South Africa proud!”
Toni-Ann Singh from Jamaica, who became the longest-running title holder in Miss World history due to the Covid-19 pandemic delaying the annual competition, will crown his successor at the end of the event.
As Shudufhadzo prepares to hoist the South African flag high in the “World’s Oldest Major Beauty Pageant” next month, we count five facts you might not know about Miss World.
1. Europe got the best of all continents in Miss World, with 26 titles
- North America: 14
- South America: 11
- Asia: 10
- Africa: 5
- Oceania: 3
2. India and Venezuela are the countries with the most Miss World victories – 6 each
3. Sweden (1951, 1952), the United Kingdom (1964, 1965) and India (1999 and 2000) are the only countries to have won two consecutive victories.
Priyanka Chopra (Jonas) was crowned Miss World 2000 on November 30, 2000. The title was previously held by the Indian Yukta Mookhey.
4. Oscar-winning actor Halle Berry represented the United States at Miss World in 1986 and was crowned fifth finalist
Along with Halle Berry (Die Another Day), 9 other Miss World contenders have appeared in the Bond films:
- Diamonds are forever: Denise Perrier (France, Miss World 1953)
- Thunder clap: Claudine Auger (France, first runner-up 1958)
- Dr No: MichÃ¨le Mok (Hong Kong, 1959)
- The spy who loved me, Just for your eyes, octopus: Eva Ruebe Staier (Austria, Miss World 1969)
- octopus, A sight to kill: Mary Stavin (Sweden, Miss World 1977)
- octopus: Carolyn Seaward (United Kingdom, runner-up 1979)
- Tomorrow Neve dies: Michelle Yeoh (Malaysia, 1983)
- A sight to kill: Lou-Anne Ronchi (Australia, runner-up 1984)
- Living daylight: Ruddy Rodriguez (Venezuela, 1985)
5. South Africa has hosted Miss World seven times (1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 2001, 2008, 2009).
READ ALSO | Shudufhadzo Musida arrives in Puerto Rico for Miss World: “Filled with joy”
READ ALSO | PHOTOS | Shudufhadzo Musida leaves for Miss World
We live in a world where fact and fiction merge
In uncertain times, you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analysis, investigative journalism, leading opinions, and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.